The AES Organ Concert, performed by Graham Blyth, will be held at The First Congregational Church of Los Angeles (540 South Commonwealth Ave., LA 90020) on Thursday, September 29, 2016, at 8:15 pm.
Continuing a 22-year AES Convention tradition, AES Fellow Graham Blyth will perform an Organ Concert, this time on the massive instruments of the First Congregational Church in Los Angeles. Each half of the concert will be performed on a different instrument. The concert is free to AES Convention attendees and the public; proceeds from a free-will offering basket at the entrance will benefit the church’s Organ Fund.
Although the AES will provide one shuttle bus from and to the Convention Center, the Organ Concert is easily reached by Metro. Please allow at least 35 minutes travel time (including walking) and note that trains may be crowded going to the concert because of rush hour commuters. Trains run every 6 – 10 minutes during commute hours (4 pm – 7 pm) and every 10 – 20 minutes later in the evening, so the return trip may take longer. The one-way fare is $1.75; the fare for seniors (62+) and disabled riders is $.75 before 7 pm and $.35 after 7 pm — both of these fares require ID. One-way fares include free transfers for up to two hours.
Directions from the Convention Center:
- Walk to the Pico Station (one block) by heading east on 12th Street from the Convention Center.
- Take any train — the Blue Line or the Expo Line — toward Los Angeles to the 7th/Metro Center Station (one stop).
- Change to the Red or Purple Line on the lower level platform. Remember to tap your TAP Card on the validator before going down to the platform for the Red/Purple Lines.
- Take any train — the Red Line or Purple Line subway — toward North Hollywood or Wilshire/Western (the opposite direction from Union Station) two stops to the Wilshire/Vermont Station.
- After exiting the station, walk across the plaza and turn left on Wilshire Blvd. Walk four blocks to Commonwealth Ave.
- Turn left on Commonwealth Ave. Walk one block to the church, at the corner of 6th and Commonwealth Ave.
- Continue on Commonwealth and enter through the driveway just north of the church.
- The return route is the reverse. At Wilshire/Vermont, take any train toward Union Station. Exit the train at 7th/Metro Center Station
(Note: If your hotel is closer to this station, your journey ends here).
- If your hotel is closer to the LA Convention Center, continue on.
- At the 7th/Metro Center Station, take the escalator, stair, or elevator to Platform 2 — these have signage indicating Blue Line and Expo Line. If the traveler goes to Platform 1 instead, there is a crossover to Platform 2 at one end.
- Remember to tap your TAP Card at the entry to the platform for the Blue and Expo Lines.
“The Great Organs of First Church, situated in the enormous vaulted Sanctuary of Los Angeles’ oldest Protestant Church, together constitute perhaps the largest musical instrument existing in any church in the world today. With approximately 346 ranks, 265 stops, 233 voices, 18 divisions, and more than 20,000 pipes, the Great Organs speak down the Nave and Chancel and from the South and North Transept Galleries…”
“Set in a free-standing case with towering copper pedal pipes on either side of the rose window, the Gallery Organ, with its clean voicing, brilliant ensembles and grand basses in its five divisions, enables the organist to capture the spirit and inspiration of the North German tradition of the 17th century.”
(Descriptions of the organs provided by the First Church website)
Click on + below in footer for more menu options